Designated Historic Landmarks of Otaru City
The Former Kaiyotei Restaurant
Date of Construction: After 1896
Opened in the early Meiji period, although the phonetic reading of this restaurant has remained unchanged, the Chinese characters of its name have changed a couple of times throughout the years. While a majority of the building was comprised of additions constructed during the Taisho period, the “Akashi no Ma” banquet hall on the second floor is presumed to have been added when the restaurant was rebuilt after the great fire of 1896. As the side of a grand banquet held in November of 1906 after a conference to define the borders of Karafuto (Sakhalin) Island following the Russo-Japanese war, the restaurant holds its own place in Japanese history and is visited by many politicians and celebrities.
City of Otaru